Burke’s “Little Post Office”
The current post office for Burke opened in 1989 but the history of postal service and post offices in Burke goes back over 150 years beginning in 1852 with the appointment of John A. Marshall as postmaster of what was then Burke’s Station. The history continued through 1903 when the name was changed to Burke to 1972 when the Burke post office became a branch of Springfield to today.
Over the years the post office was located in a wide variety of buildings (generally provided by the Postmasters), sometimes in the depot, sometimes in separate buildings, and often in stores. The Post Office usually announced, with varying degrees of precision, when an office changed its location. On the grounds of Sunrise at Silas Burke House on Burke Lake Road stands a small white building that is part of that long history. This small building, that has survived three moves in its lifetime, served for many years as the Burke Post Office.